Jan 9, 2008

Love is a Verb

Now before you start reading it, I just want to say some words as an introlude or something.
This paragraph was taken from Stephen R Covey's The 8th Habits.
At that time, I just visited around to my college library at my spare time and found this book. I did't know what this book is al about. The 8 th habits??? How many habit that we have actually?
Well, I just randomly opened that book at that time. Then I found this beautiful paragraph!
And the next thing I did was copy it. (well, I was too lazy to copied them by hand so I copied them by machine. voila..hauhauahau)
So I put it here now in my WhiteLily and my friendster Blog because I want to share this different meaning of loving someone. Stephen said that Love is verb. You love by listen, emphasize, appreciate, affirm the one you love. Wew..nice thought Stephen..
Enjoy fellas!



"Allow me to illustrate, with a story I share often, how love, like trust, can become a verb. At one seminar where I was speaking a man came up and said, “Stephen, I like what you’re saying. But every situation is so different. Look at my marriage. I’m really worried. My wife and I just do not have the same feelings for each other we used to have. I just do not love her anymore and she does not love me. What can I do?”
“The feeling isn’t there anymore?” I asked.
“That’s right,” he affirmed. “And we have three children we’re really concerned about. What do you suggest?”
“Love her. I replied.
“I told you, the feeling isn’t there anymore.”
“Love her.”
“You don’t understand. The feeling of love just isn’t there.”
“Then love her. If the feeling isn’t there, that’s a good reason to love her.”
“But how do you love when you don’t love?”
“My friend, love is a verb. Love --- the feeling—is a fruit of love the verb. So love her. Sacrifice. Listen to her. Emphasize. Appreciate. Affirm her. Are you willing to do that?”
In great literature of al progressive society, love is a verb. Reactive people make it a feeling. They are driven by feelings.
Love is something you do: the sacrifices you make, the giving of self, like mother bringing a newborn into the world. If you want to study love, study those who sacrifice for others, even for people who offend or do not love in return. If you are a parent, look at the love you have for the children you sacrificed for. Love is a value that is actualized through loving actions. Proactive people subordinate feelings to values. Love, the feeling, can be recaptured.
Where is the very best place to give trust, to communicate people’s worth and potential? Without any question, it is a family. If the family is dysfunctional, where is the next best place? The school. the teacher becomes like a surrogate parent who begins the trusting process again.
Remember the power you hold to give your trust to others. You may open yourself to the risk of being disappointed, and you will need to be wise in the exercise of this power. But when you do, you give a priceless gift and opportunity to others.
The greatest risk of all is the risk of risking less living.."

No comments: